Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Blu-ray Experience: Superman The Movie

BLU-RAY EXPERIENCE?
At the request of a good friend, I've decided to review the Blu-ray Experience of certain films, in particular ones that I own.

When I say 'Blu-ray Experience,' I am referring to what my experience was in watching it in HD compared to Standard Definition DVD.  Also I will review the special features and what they add to a film.  Finally, I will give a 'Thumbs Up' or 'Thumbs Down' as to whether or not owning it is worth the price that it's going for on Amazon.

SHAMELESS PLUG
At the bottom of the page is a link if you wish to purchase the reviewed Blu-ray, and I actually end up getting a cut if you use that link to purchase it.

THE HD EXPERIENCE
Watching this film in High-Definition was really breathtaking.  Like I have and will continue to say about many films on Blu-ray: It was like watching a whole new movie.  There were many details that I noticed in the background or could read signs that I hadn't seen before.  It is a beautifully shot film and it really shines in HD, especially the Kansas scenes.  And, unlike many films in the 70's that I have watched in HD, it didn't ruin the movie or make it seem fake.  In the end, watching it with the higher quality made me appreciate the movie more, not less.

SPECIAL (OR NOT SO) FEATURES
The special features included in the Blu-ray are great, but they are the exact same as the two disc DVD release.  They include the original trailers, screen tests, a commentary track, and a documentary.  The commentary by Richard Donner (director) and Tom Mankiewicz (final script revisionist) is really worth listening to, IMO.  And the documentary about the making of the film is spectacular, detailing this chapter in cinematic history.

FINAL VERDICT
Thumbs Way Up.  I loved this and am very happy with the purchase.  You can get it in a 3-pack along with Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut and Superman Returns for about $17 on Amazon right now.  Very worth it, in my opinion. The product is linked here:
Superman / Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut / Superman Returns [Blu-ray]

No comments:

Post a Comment