Monday, February 18, 2013

#13 Singin' in the Rain

I didn't see this movie until college when a girl I was dating introduced it to me as her favorite movie of all time.  I think it's probably better that way, because I couldn't have appreciated Gene Kelly and his amazing dancing in the same way.

REVIEW
This movie was way ahead of its time and is the only movie made before 1975 that is on my list.  Most who see it don't realize it was a period piece when it was made in 1952.  It is also a prime example of how ridiculously out of touch the Academy Awards are: it wasn't even nominated for Best Picture in its year.

The music of this film is a joy.  It is performed masterfully on all accounts.  And as brilliant as the music is, the dancing is even better!  Gene Kelly steals every scene he is in and comfortably outshines all his co-stars in singing AND dancing.  He was the original (and best) triple threat: an amazing singer, dancer, AND actor.

The writing is so witty and ages so well.  The story is relatable even now. In my humble opinion, The Artist (2011 Best Picture) was a huge rip-off of Singin' in the Rain, and wouldn't have experienced as much success as it did if it hadn't stolen its plot.

CONCLUSION
My family and I can watch this movie over and over again.  My daughters love it.  My wife loves it.  I love it.  It's very family friendly.  If you haven't seen it, I cannot recommend it enough!

TRIVIA
  • The female lead, Debbie Reynolds was only 20 years old when she got the part.  She is also the mother of Carrie Fischer, AKA Princess Leia. 
  • Gene Kelly stared in, co-directed (the Directors Guild of America has outlawed co-directors since), and also did all the choreography for it. 
  • This movie was originally intended to be a 'Greatest Hits' of MGM's movie songs over the years.  So, the writers had to write a plot around the songs, rather than the other way around.
  • The first day of filming (the 'Good Morning' number) Debbie Reynolds had such a difficult time keeping up with Gene Kelly that her feet started bleeding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment