Saturday, June 8, 2013

Review: The Internship

I'm not sure I would have thought that Google would ever be the type to buy and pay for a film in the same way that Lifelock did for Identity Thief.  Nor would I have guessed that Vince Vaughn would ever be one to sell out by making a more or less sequel to Wedding Crashers that doubles as a commercial for Google.  But, that appears to be exactly what The Internship is.

While I did find much of Wedding Crashers funny, I also found much of the humor to be too cude (I dislike crude humor because I find it offensive and I think it's the easy way out to get laughs, requiring no creativity).  So, my expectations were a bit mixed, and were actually quite low because of the REALLY bad press it has received from the critical community.  However, I was pleasantly surprised. 

THE GOOD
Vince Vaughn is one of the more charismatic comedic actors currently working in Hollywood.  His charm alone can carry a movie quite easily.  He is so likable and funny in this film.  The salesman character he embodies is the type of person you want to be inspired by.  

The film is quite funny when it works, which fortunately is the majority of the time.  Vaughn and Wilson have such a good sense of timing and director Shawn Levy knows how to utilize that.

The supporting cast is quite good and actually remarkably realistic.  As a software engineer, I can safely say that I know individuals that fit each of the personality types that they decided to showcase.  They may have augmented the personalities for comedic effect, but make no mistake: those are realistic nerds through and through.

THE BAD
The product placement got out of hand and I found myself rolling my eyes at some of the more ridiculous attempts.  Also, the jargon that they used tried to be realistic, and while they used the right words, the context was completely off.  The shining example of how to do geek culture and dialogue right is Big Bang Theory.  Everything they do in there is spot on.

Owen Wilson's character, while fun and charismatic, felt more shallow than almost any other performance I've seen him in.  It felt like he phoned it in, or wasn't given proper directing.  On a side note, iff you want the best performance that Owen Wilson can give, watch Midnight in Paris, which is a delightfully perfect film in every way.

CONCLUSION
I laughed pretty hard at this movie and had a great time.  Everyone else in the theater seem to as well.  If most folks go in with a grain of salt with regards to the 'Googliness' of the picture and I think they will enjoy it too. 3.25/5 Disco Balls.

PARENTS GUIDE
There is no nudity, but the sex references are plentiful to the point of me questioning the PG-13 rating.  Also there is a big scene that takes place in a strip joint. There is a lot of language, including an f bomb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment