Friday, April 12, 2013

42: Movie Review

42 film poster.jpg
Although I had hoped that a movie called '42' was a sequel to a fantastic film called Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (if you don't get the reference, you should probably read the book and thank me later), a sports movie about racism is a good second prize. 

Doing a race movie can be hard and there are so few that have done it well, which is why I think there aren't more of them (I've often wondered why there hasn't been a biopic of Martin Luther King Jr.).  I will always love Remember the Titans, despite it being one of the more emotionally manipulative films I've ever seen.  Also, Invictus remains one of my favorite Eastwood films.  As a result, and as with most films this year, I was cautiously optimistic. 

It has come to my attention that some of my readers are reading 'The Bad'  section and assuming that I despise a movie because of some harsh critiques.  Please read on!  Film criticism is what this blog is about!  And especially read the conclusion because that's where I give my final verdict.

The Bad
The first 10 minutes felt way too heavy-handed for my tastes.   The setup is really in your face and emotionally manipulative. 

Harrison Ford's character (not his acting, mind you) seems to be the only non-racist white man at the beginning of the movie, and that's the extent of him.  He seems to be one-trick pony, having conviction for conviction's sake.  He came across more as a plot element than an actual character.  That being said, Ford did do a good job in what direction he was given.

 Most of the support players are not going to win any awards for their acting capabilities, either.  They were as one-dimensional as Harrison Ford's character, playing plot devices rather than characters.  I suspect this is the result of bad directing more than anything (although the director was also the writer). 

The Good
The film did a great job helping the audience feel what it must have been like to be a black person pre-civil-rights in America, which I think is what they were trying to accomplish.  There were many times that I teared up because of the cruel realities that African-Americans had to deal with.  I also got emotional when certain characters experienced changes of heart. 

I liked the cinematography more than most, and probably the best I've seen this year (although the competition is far from stiff).  The dugout is a good example of expressionism in film if you'll ever find one in mainstream cinema. 

The fellow that plays Jackie is really versatile and believable.  Also, the main antagonists were really good; they made me believe that they were sincerely racist and had malice in their hearts. 

Conclusion
Overall I quite enjoyed this movie and I recommend it heartily to ALL.  Is it going to win any awards? No.  But it does remove you from the present and teaches the lessons of history in an effective and enjoyable way.  3.75/5 stars. 

Parents Guide
I can see why the MPAA gave this  a PG-13, because it is disturbing to watch the racial cruelty.  However, it is the lightest PG-13 I've come across in a long time.  I would consider this to be a family movie, except for small children.  No nudity, no violence.  Just tense scenes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment