Saturday, April 27, 2013

Review: Mud

Every once in a while, I get to see an independent film in the theater (as opposed to at home on DVD/Blu-Ray/streaming).  The reason that I don't see them very often is because they usually aren't playing in a theater close to me, and they don't look good enough to make the trek to where it is playing, which can be upwards of 40 minutes.  Independent films almost never get what's called a 'Wide Release,' which means that they only release them in select theaters in big cities across the country.  They usually are distributed by smaller studios, such as Lionsgate and The Weinsteins, and don't go Wide because they don't have mass appeal.  This is fine with the studios because they usually don't cost very much to make.

So, when I was checking the upcoming slate of cinema coming out, I saw that there weren't any Mormon-friendly films getting Wide Release this weekend.  I proceeded to look at the ones getting limited release and saw a film called Mud.  It hit all the soft-spots: it's PG-13 with no nudity (I will see some R-rated movies if they don't have nudity), it was playing within a 20-minute drive, AND it had a sky-high 98% on the Tomatometer.  I was sold.  Chandler Fashion Mall Harkins Theater, here I come!

If you watch the trailer for this film, it gives you almost no idea as to what the movie's theme is.  I watched it twice and had virtually no clue, so I more or less went in blind.  This is actually a preferable method of seeing movies, because you aren't tainted or spoiled from a trailer.

SYNOPSIS
Two teenage boys encounter a fugitive and form a pact to help him evade the bounty hunters on his trail and to reunite him with his true love.

THE BAD
Nothing.

THE GOOD
Once or twice a year I see a movie that fits in the category "There's no good time to get up and use the restroom."  This movie was so compelling and well-paced that I prolonged my bathroom break until I could hold it no longer.  Every single scene is purposeful and compelling.  It never drags.

The acting by all is phenomenal, but Matthew McConaughey gives the best performance of his life.  He was himself, but subtly different.  I found myself thinking more than once: "Is this really the guy from Sahara?"  I'm not positive he will get nominated for an Oscar for this role, but he certainly will be considered.  Also, the main teenage boy is remarkably believable and likable. I certainly hope we see him again.

As opposed to many movies about the South, this film paints a picture of the it that is very rich and realistic.  It never treats the culture with contempt, although I can't say that it's an endearing depiction either.

It is beautifully and subtly shot.  The color palette matches the story, shapes the mood, and the shots are never shots for shots' sake.

CONCLUSION
I adored this movie.  It's my favorite movie of the year so far, although there's not a lot of great competition.  If you enjoy Independent cinema, then you will most certainly enjoy this Mud.  However, if you consider yourself to be more mainstream, then this is not for you.  4.75/5 stars.

PARENTS GUIDE
There is quite a bit of language and some violence, particularly where one women is thrown around by a man. Not much sexual content, although there is some.  No nudity.

No comments:

Post a Comment