Thursday, November 15, 2012

#19 Ghostbusters 1984

It seems that everyone has a different favorite quote from Ghostbusters, and there is a plethora to choose from! My personal favorite is:

"Of course, you forget, Peter, I was present at an undersea, unexplained mass sponge migration."

At the age of 5 when I first saw this movie I had no idea it was a spoof on the paranormal film genre explosion of the late 70's and early 80's, but apparently that's exactly what it was.  I just thought it was awesome that 4 guys carried around backpacks that could wrangle ghosts!  To this day I want a proton pack!

SYNOPSIS
In New York City, 3 research professors of paranormal studies are fired and are forced to open a ghost catching business in order to make ends meet.

REVIEW
I still consider this to be one of the funnier movies of all time.  The guys are just great together, with my favorite being Rick Moranis as Vince Clothor. The chemistry between Sigourney Weaver and Bill Murray is priceless.  It also ends up being fairly scary at parts too, especially to a 5 year old.  This is an ensemble movie at its best.

The music is fantastic!  Elmer Bernstein's score is great and of course the theme song is wonderful too.

TRIVIA

  • Eddie Murphy was originally slated to play Winston, but was doing Beverly Hills Cop at the time. 
  • As a result of Eddie Murphy not being in the movie, the script was rewritten to introduce the Winston character later in the film instead of having him as an original part of the team.
  • John Candy was originally supposed to play a lawyer/accountant character that helped out as the team's lawyer and then was turned into the dog.  Obviously Rick Moranis' character is what they ended up with, for which I am eternally grateful.
  • Although not explicitly an SNL movie, its writers and actors all have very strong ties to the late night sketch show. 
  • The Stay-Puft Marshmallow suits cost $20 Grand to make. 
  • Until the release of Home Alone, Ghostbusters was the highest grossing comedy of all-time. 
CONCLUSION
The film has aged very well.  I adore and can still watch it anytime I want a chuckle.  I give it a 10/10 or 5/5.  

PS. Please share your favorite quote from the film below. 



1 comment: