Tuesday, December 18, 2012

#14 Rudy

To those that know one of my best friends Steve, you are aware that he loves sappy sports movies.  Throughout high school, he would always say that his favorite movies of all time were Remember the Titans and Rudy.  And I am grateful to this day that he made me watch Rudy (I had already seen Remember the Titans in the theater).  It was a 'too-cold-for-the-buses-to-run-day' in Rexburg, Idaho and he brought over the DVD.  I didn't fully appreciate the film back then, but it is now a yearly tradition in my home that we watch Rudy in the fall.  

SYNOPSIS
Rudy Ruttiger has always wanted to attend the University of Notre Dame and play football for them.  This movie is about his journey of overcoming almost impossible odds to achieve his dreams. 

REVIEW
Before Sean Astin won an Academy Award for Lord of the Rings, he showed his talent as Rudy.  He really makes this movie, although the supporting cast is great as well.  I would suggest that this is Warren Beatty's best performance, playing Rudy's father.  

The story is one of the most inspiring stories ever put on film.  The highs of the movie move me every time.  It motivates me to try and be a better person and reach my goals. 

The music is a gem.  This is easily Jerry Goldsmith's best music and is one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.  I can listen to it any time, any day and feel inspired.  It does what a soundtrack should do: it is memorable and moving but not distracting.  

CONCLUSION
This movie is a must see.  You've probably seen it on cable, but it's certainly worth owning on DVD or even Blu-ray.  

No comments:

Post a Comment