Monday, December 3, 2012

#15 Twelve Angry Men

If you were lucky, you were shown 12 Angry Men in school.  I was introduced to it in high school, but I can't seem to recall which class (I think it was Junior English).  Even though I was not cinematically mature  (yes, I just made up a word), I could not keep my eyes off the screen.  Out of all the movies I watched in a high school classroom, this one had the most impact.

SYNOPSIS
A Hispanic teenage boy is on trial for murder and a jury of twelve men deliberate on whether or not to sentence him to death.

REVIEW
This movie is part of cinema history.  It's ahead of its time in both acting and the depth of the characterizations. This is one of the few films Pre-Star-Wars that I can really get into.  Any audience of any generation can relate to these characters and most probably know people that fit into the personality archetypes of each of these men.

Every one of the performances is so spot on with Henry Fonda leading the way and proving why he's one of the greatest screen actors of all time.  Lee Cobb is stellar as well and is really the person that makes you feel the strongest emotions.

The story is so deep, yet takes place in such a small room.  I guess it started it out as a play, which would make sense; it would be very easy to build a stage for this!  I personally would feel intimidated to play some of these characters.

TRIVIA

  • As shooting went on, the director chose to gradually change the focal lengths of the lenses to induce the feeling of claustrophobia.
  • Was shot in 21 days, which is unheard of.
  • All but 3 minutes are shot in a 16 by 24 ft room.
  • The budget for the film was only $350,000
CONCLUSION
Seriously, if you haven't seen this movie, do it!  It can be found at almost any public library.  It is essential viewing, in my opinion.  4.7/5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment