Tuesday, July 1, 2014

30 Day Movie Challenge: movie I can dance to

Good dance films, especially in the modern age, are really hard to come by.  The Step Up franchise has great dancing, but the plot and the acting are just terrible.  So for this choice, I had to go back quite a few years. 

Singin' in the Rain is the oldest film on my Top 20 Films of All Time list, and it is easily my favorite dance film. I can watch it over and over again, and NEVER get sick of watching the dancing in this film.  I like almost every dance number in the film, with 'Moses Supposes,' 'Good Morning,' and of course the title number.  Some people prefer to watch Fred Astaire dance to Gene Kelly, but I think these people are smoking crack.  Gene Kelly makes dancing look easy, which is essentially what a good artist should do. 

As with most of the films I'm going to be including in this countdown, if you haven't watch this film, you are missing out and I highly recommend you remedy the situation.  My children even will sit and watch the whole movie in one sitting!  That's how good it is. It's my favorite musical of all time, and very much my favorite dance film of all time.  I dare you to watch the video below and not smile.  Also note that both dancers are doing the exact same steps, but Gene Kelly makes it look much easier.  The man is the best dancer in film, IMO.


Fun Fact: the main character Debbie Reynolds is actually the mother of Princess Leia (Carrie Fischer). 

No comments:

Post a Comment