Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review: The Guilt Trip

File:The Guilt Trip Poster.jpgI debated with myself as to whether or not to use the phrase 'Babs is back' as a subtitle, but I found that most folks don't associate the nickname Babs with Barbara Streisand (a tragedy, I know).  However, it is important to note that this is Streisand's first leading role in over 15 years.  And it did cross my mind more than once: out of all movies to put her in, why a Seth Rogen movie?  Well, Richard Roeper and the critics at What The Flick really liked it (which I was shocked about because it's only at 32% on the Tomatometer), so I decided to give it a shot.

THE GOOD
The chemistry between Babs and Rogen is surprisingly good.  They make the mother-son relationship totally believable.  It isn't hard to buy that they really are a typical strong-personalitied dysfunctional family.

Barbara just shines, as she always has and always will.  It's not very believeable that she's a common New Jersey widow because she just pops off the screen.  She is just flat out entertaining to watch.

Seth Rogen's character was more subtle than anything I've ever seen him in, and this is probably the best acting I personally have ever seen him do.  That being said, he still has his Rogen smirk, which was a little out of place.

THE BAD
The story is a bit predictable.  Nothing more really needs to be said about that.

The score is REALLY out of place.  It feels like an early 2000's live Disney movie.  I love the composer, Christopher Beck, but I really think they should've gone with someone more subtle.

CONCLUSION
It was a fun movie, with Babs really stealing the show.  I sincerely can't fathom why it has such a low score at Rotten Tomatoes (perhaps it's because it was sold as one thing in the trailers and the press and it turned out to be entirely different).  3.5/5 Stars. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment