Monday, January 14, 2013

Review: Silver Linings Playbook

Silver Linings Playbook PosterLast Thursday morning's Oscar nominees announcement proved to be unique in a lot of ways. First, the nominees for best actress included both the oldest (Emmanuelle Riva) AND youngest (Quvenzhané Wallis) nominees in the history of the category. Second, there was a film that has nominees in all of the acting categories (Supporting/Lead Actor/Actress). This hasn't happened since 1980. The film in question has been on my to-watch list since its release, although I haven't gotten to it until now. This film is called Silver Linings Playbook, which is based on a novel that I had never heard of. 

SYNOPSIS
After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper) moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence), a mysterious girl with problems of her own. 

THE GOOD
This is both Bradley Cooper's and Jennifer Lawrence's best performances to date.  I wasn't as surprised with Lawrence (which is absolutely BEAUTIFUL in this film, BTW), mostly because she's the best actress in Hollywood right now.  Yet I was really shocked (along with the rest of the critical community) at Cooper's stellar performance.  If Daniel Day-Lewis hadn't done his off-the-charts performance of Lincoln this year, Cooper would be a shoe in for winning Best Actor at all the awards. Also Robert De Niro as Cooper's father was his best performance in a very long time, and gives us a glimmer of hope that he still has it in his old age. 

The story and writing are some of the most, if not THE most, compelling of the year. It has been a while since I have been captivated enough by a movie that I didn't even notice any of the cinematography or much of the music, which is exactly what this movie did to me.  Nearly every scene is well crafted and just worked, being brilliantly executed by all involved.  

THE BAD
The only objection I found was the unnecessary pervasive language. Juno, the Pixar films, and many other films have proven that an art movie can be made with high emotional intensity without the constant use of expletives.  I realize I'm a minority in this opinion, but I refuse to budge on it.  

CONCLUSION
I have revised my sure opinion that Lincoln would win Best Picture.  I still think it has a good shot, but Silver Linings Playbook punctures Spielberg's sure bet.  This movie is compelling, emotional, and EXTREMELY well acted.  Also, it is a Weinstein produced film, which often dominate awards ceremonies because of  Harvey Weinstein's ruthless Oscar campaigning techniques and prowess.  

4.5/5 stars.  

No comments:

Post a Comment