Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Review: Maleficient

This film has had a lot of buzz.  It had some decent trailers and some wonderful visuals.  And Angelina Jolie is a great performer.  I had heard some very mixed things about it going in, but, as always, I hoped for the best.  I was both surprised and decently satisfied. 

I think it's important when reviewing a film that the reviewer should take into account who the target audience is.  For example, a film like 12 Years a Slave is most certainly not meant for the Disney Princess crowd, and vise versa: Maleficent is not meant to entertain Oscar voters.  Maleficent was made by the mouse to make money by giving what the Disney Princess crowd wants. 

Now, when I say that this is for the Disney lovers, I mean it.  It felt like an expensive Disney Channel original movie, full of fun and cheesiness.  In fact, I would dare say that if Angelina wasn't in the film it wouldn't be taken seriously at all. 

With that being said, I did enjoy the movie.  I didn't like it as much as my friend Sassy Sarah or my mother, but I also didn't hate it like my other friend Kaptain Kevin.  It's a crowd pleaser of a film.  My audience clapped as the credits rolled.  The special effects were good and Angelina gave a great performance.

 I give it 3/5 Disco Balls.

Spoiler Critique (Read at your own risk!)
My biggest problem wasn't that they changed the Sleeping Beauty story, but that they chose to give it such a happy ending.  I had hoped for a more tragic/melancholy ending.  Oh well, this is Disney after all and I am certainly NOT the target audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment